The Brand Wellness Center - Enlightened Dentistry
|Posted on May 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM|
When Mother Teresa was asked many years ago if she would attend an anti-war rally, her answer was rather profound: I will not be part of an anti-war demonstration. As soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.
So when I was presented with an anti-GMO rally, I was hesitant. Not seeing a pro-organic rally coming up anytime soon, I acquiesced and went. Sometimes when we are pro-health, we need to be anti- sickness (anti-GMO).
The NYC March Against Montsanto this past Saturday at Union Square in NYC had a wonderful turnout. Although the skies threatened rain that afternoon, it seems that the weather gods were on our side and the meeting went peacefully and fully.
NYC- March Against Monsanto
Click here for photos from the event:
Genetically modified organisms (GMO’s) are a broad group of plants, animals, and bacteria that are engineered for a wide variety of applications ranging from agricultural production to scientific research. Plants and the foods made from them are often called Frankenfood (Frankenstein food) for good reason.
The types of potential hazards posed by GMOs vary according to the type of organism being modified and its intended application. Most of the concern surrounding GMOs relates to their potential for negative effects on the environment and human health.
Since GMOs directly affect human health and primarily enter through the food supply which goes unlabeled (I have never seen a label that says: This food is a GMO food), it is important that everyone be aware of it.
To date, the only types of GMO products that have been approved for human consumption in the U.S. are genetically modified plants
This is a short list of the most heavily genetically modified food crops that are grown in the USA today:
- Soy bean
- Sugar cane
- Cocoa beans
When one considers that this list also includes ALL the processed foods made from these plants, the repercussions on human health become staggering.
Here is a partial list of how GMOs affect us:
· Food Allergy- this is a rising problem for everyone especially due to the GMO crops such as wheat (gluten), corn, chocolate, etc
· Increased Toxicity- immune system problems such as resistant infections, cancer, auto immune diseases. There are so many other toxins in the world (read our other blogs) that it is not good for anyone to knowingly add to the list.
· Decreased Nutritional Value- unhealthy, unnatural foods(GMO) cannot provide real nutrition . Even the animals in nature won’t eat it.
· Antibiotic resistance- when genes coded for antibiotic resistance enter the food chain and are taken up by human gut microflora, the effectiveness of antibiotics could be reduced and human infectious disease risk is increased.
The short term solution begins in our shopping carts. This is where the power is. Cooking real organic food is a revolutionary act. In the hundreds of small food choices that we make everyday, we will topple the monolithic and toxic food industry.
How to be pro-active for your health:
- Whenever possible, eat all natural foods. Shop at your local farmers market for fresh foods which supports your local economy.
- Use only organically grown fruit and vegetables. Organic crops are grown using no genetic modification nor toxic herbicides.
- Be careful to eat only organic varieties of popcorn and corn.
- Start your own organic garden. Growing your own fruit and vegetables is one of the best things you can do for your family.
- When you’re shopping for meat and dairy products, be sure to read the labels. Look for hormone and antibiotic-free, organic, range fed information on the label.
- Avoid canola oil and cottonseed oil. Use instead, organic sources of coconut oil, hempseed oil and olive oil which are available at organic and whole foods markets.
- Check your condiments for organic labels. You can find organic fermented sources for soy like natto (fermented soybeans), tempeh, miso, tamari, and tofu.
- Take action. Write your council members and grocery executives. Let them know that you want fresh foods in your stores. Ask them to stock organic and no GMO foods.
As we all continue to raise the bar for our own health, it is quite apparent that GMO foods should not be on our list of edible foods.
I know that it costs more to buy organic, but it may be the only way to guarantee that what you are eating is REAL food the way Mother Nature intended.
And certainly do not feed GMO food to your sensitive children. The long term effect on them will even be more evident.