The Brand Wellness Center - Enlightened Dentistry
|Posted on March 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM|
It’s wonderful when we are proactive for our own health. Taking charge of a good diet, and implementing effective daily detoxing is one of the best ways to get out from under a chronic inflammatory condition.
Sometimes however, we can be a bit over ambitious, detox too quickly and feel worse than before we started. This is called a Healing Crisis or Herxheimer Reaction.
Healing Crisis is a term used to describe the uncomfortable side effects that occur when we rapidly detoxify chemicals, heavy metals, pathogens and/or accumulated wastes from tissues and cells.
The symptoms usually include:
• Serious headaches
• confusing mental fog
• intense unexplained anxiety
• constipation or digestive upset
• respiratory problems
• palpitations and tremors
Needless to say, this can be scary and extremely uncomfortable. Sometimes the Herxheimer can be so intense that it may feel like an emergency situation that requires a visit to the hospital emergency room.
With that being said, it is always important to detox slowly, at a pace your body can handle. I know that we are all in a rush to get healthy immediately, but slow and steady is really the way to go. The journey to better health is forever on-going and it may take months to notice an improvement in health. It took years for to develop this chronic illness and it may take just as long to get well.
Here are some basics to help:
• Begin all detox plans slowly. You can never be sure how your body will react, so give it at least 3-5 days (or more) for a slow transition before going up to full dosage.
• Take supportive nutrients for the detox pathways. Begin at least 2 weeks before you start any detox plan. Liver and gut support are paramount. It might be best to work with an informed health practitioner to support you on this.
• Keep your bowels moving daily to prevent reabsorption of die-off toxins.
If you have a constipation issue, do not even start a detox program until you have at least one bowel movement each day.
• Always follow a clean diet, avoiding sugars and all processed foods.
• Drink plenty of water with additional minerals to keep the systems hydrated and the cells communicating.
• Get enough sleep. Eight to ten hours per night is essential for the body to go into a healing phase.
• Alkalinize to buffer toxins. Chlorophyll drinks may be helpful for this.
• Take plenty of antioxidants to neutralize the oxidative stress from released toxins.
Herxheimer reactions can be quite intense and frightening. Good planning will make a tremendous difference for a smooth experience.
More information on detoxification can be found in my book: My Secrets to Regaining Health